Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS ffglut can not run

Hello there. I get the following error after install FreeFem++ 4.7 on ubuntu 20.04.

It can not plot a picture. Can you help me please?

Thanks in advance.

You need to provide a plot to ffglut before saying it cannot run.
For example, could you see if the following file can be displayed?

$ ffglut file.edp

file.edp (41.0 KB)

Thanky you! I have run it, but it gives nothing!

Now I try to uninstall it and reinstall, it works. Many thanks.

you can add debuT option

fglut -vv /Users/hecht/Downloads/file.edp >~/Desktop/ffglut.edp

and the result file are : ffglut.edp (3.3 KB)

if the file is empty => ffglut is wrong …

Hi everyone,

First, let me thank you for the impressive work that FreeFem is.

I’m facing a similar issue with ffglut. When I try to run ffglut as you suggested a window opens but it freezes and then crashes with a segmentation fault error.

I tried unsuccessfully to installl FreeFem both from the deb package and compiling the sources directly.

Besides, I saw your answer on related topic (Compiles fine but no graphics in Freefem++ executable (V4) - #4 by frederichecht) but I didn’t manage to have an installation of FreeFem with ffglut working.

ffglut apart, FreeFem seems to work fine. Would there be any way to fix the installation of the visualisation plugin?

Regards

@xiaodizhang29 is there anything special you did for the re-installation?
I’m still facing issues with ffglut. It always returns segmentation fault when it tries to open a Window to display the visualisation.
The installation and the checks went fine.
For information the configuration part related to GLUT reads :

checking OpenGL/gl.h usability… no
checking OpenGL/gl.h presence… no
checking for OpenGL/gl.h… no
checking GL/gl.h usability… yes
checking GL/gl.h presence… yes
checking for GL/gl.h… yes
checking GLUT/glut.h usability… no
checking GLUT/glut.h presence… no
checking for GLUT/glut.h… no
checking GL/glut.h usability… yes
checking GL/glut.h presence… yes
checking for GL/glut.h… yes

I also run in the same problem when installing ff++ from the latest sources (4.10) in Ubuntu 20.04. I believe the problem has nothing to do with ff++ but with gcc. gcc produces a ‘shared dynamical library’ instead of an executable. To see it, run the command ‘file’ in a terminal on the ffglut you have produced:

> file ffglut

For me the output is

ffglut: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, BuildID[sha1]=4dfcb93c9699f45a3c7af8e62106bf66f4ef9728, for GNU/Linux 3.2.0, with debug_info, not stripped

As a result the ‘which ffglut’ command returns nothing, even though the file is marked as executable and is on the path. It is the same for FreeFem++ and all other executables produced by compilation (I also compiled a simple ‘hello world’ C program to check).
A workaround is to specify explicitly the complete path to ffglut; for instance with my installation in ~/install/:

FreeFem++ -glut /home/vincent.laude/install/bin/ffglut myscript.edp