Installation on Ubuntu 20.04

Hello everybody,
I would like to install FreeFem onto Ubuntu 20.04 (LTS).

I downloaded the .deb file from the “Download” section of the official website. However, when I run the command FreeFem++ in my terminal, I am prompted the following error message:

FreeFem++: error while loading shared libraries: libhdf5_serial.so.100: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I searched for a solution on the internet and I found this link where a similar issue is addressed.

Could you please help me solve?

1 Like

This will be fixed in the next release where we have explicitly removed the HDF5 dependency.
In the meantime, either recompile the develop branch, or try to do as in the link that you used (find an HDF5 shared object and link it appropriately).

Thank you for the clarification.
I have found the following solution, that does not require the installation from source.

These are the commands I executed to fix.

cd /usr/lib

sudo ln -srv ./x86_64-linux-gnu/libhdf5_serial.so.103  libhdf5_serial.so.100

Thank you very much again! :slight_smile:

Hello I am on lubuntu20.04 and I followed the installation with the .deb pakage. When I run FreeFem++ I have the following error:
FreeFem++: error while loading shared libraries: libgfortran.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Do you have any idea ho to fix it?
Bests

Do you have gfortran installed on your machine?

yes…“gfortran est déjà la version la plus récente (4:9.3.0-1ubuntu2).” (latest version of gfortran)

Ok I found the way to solve it: I installed gfortran-7 and now I have the pb with libhdf5, but it is fixed by paolopiers, thx!

Hi,
I am on Ubuntu 20.04 and I get this error when trying to run FreeFem++:
FreeFem++: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.33’ not found (required by /u/sw/toolchains/gcc-glibc/11/pkgs/metis/5.1.0/lib/libmetis.so)

I tried downloading different versions of the deb package (4.9, 4.6, 4.7 etc…) but I always get this error.

Does anyone know how to fix that?

Best

Your own stuff (/u/sw/toolchains/gcc-glibc/11/pkgs/metis/5.1.0/lib/libmetis.so) is messing with the FreeFEM package.

That’s interesting,
What should I do then?
It’s coming from a package called mk-modules I use for university

It’s coming from a package called mk-modules I use for university

Still, it’s not OK that it’s being used globally and not strictly for your package. You need to figure out why this file is being used (maybe in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH?).

Thank you very much you saved me I was stupid.
This came from a package (mk modules) used in one of my courses for University, the module gcc-glibc was loaded by the bashrc file when opening a terminal, I just had to comment this line.

Thanks again!