Help Installing FreeFem++ in Ubuntu 19.10

Hi!
I tried installing FreeFem++ using both the binary installation and the compilation for Ubuntu but I was unsuccessful with both methods. I’m still an Ubuntu noob and even though there seem to already exist solutions to my problem (FreeFem++: error while loading shared libraries: libhdf5_serial.so.100: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
) i can’t seem to get it working.

Any help would be appreciated.

You could recompile without HDF5, by adding --without-hdf5 to your ./configure line.

1 Like

Thank you very much! that solved it :slight_smile:

Hi prj,

I am a very beginner user of Ubuntu 19.10 and FreeFrem++ too and I have the same problem. You can share with me more detailed instructions in order to solve the this problem. Many thanks in advances!

What is your problem?

Dear prj,

I have install in my laptop Ubuntu release 19.10 and I try to use FreeFrem++ in order to solve a integral equation through the finite element method. I followed all the step in the installation guide but when I execute the command “francisco@frajaroco:~$ FreeFem++ MC-pred-in.edp” from my terminal to run the code and get the result, the next message appears “FreeFem++: error while loading shared libraries: libhdf5_serial.so.100: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory”

Yesterday I found your suggestion to solve the problem but given my minimums knowlemen about Ubuntu, I would very much like more detailed instructions on how to solve the problem.

Thank you very much in advance!

Did you install the .deb or compile FreeFEM yourself?

I install “FreeFEM_4.6_Ubuntu_withPETSc_amd64.deb” from your website.

francisco@frajaroco:~/Escritorio$ sudo dpkg -i FreeFEM_4.6_Ubuntu_withPETSc_amd64.deb
[sudo] contraseña para francisco:
(Leyendo la base de datos … 492965 ficheros o directorios instalados actualmente.)
Preparando para desempaquetar FreeFEM_4.6_Ubuntu_withPETSc_amd64.deb …
Desempaquetando freefem (4.6) sobre (4.6) …
Configurando freefem (4.6) …

I think your HDF5 library is too recent, we build the .deb on Ubuntu 18, so it would be best to remove the package and compile FreeFEM yourself using this procedure.