Freefem++.exe has stopped working — new install on Win 7 - 64-bit

The following problem occurs after installing FreeFem+±4.12-win64.exe (v4.12), downloaded from FreeFEM.org on Jan 12, 2023; a brand new install on Win 7 64-bit up to date with 8 GB RAM and problem-free:

When opening the software (the application), a DOS screen pops-up very briefly, and Windows issues the following notice: “freefem++.exe has stopped working”

I sorry, which processOr, the window7 is very old, I d’ont know if dur to processor or system.

Hello frederichecht,

Thank you for your interest.

My PC’s microprocessor is an Intel(R) Core™2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2394 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s).

I checked the System Variable PATH. It shows “C:\Program Files (x86)\FreeFem++” as it is supposed to.

I tried installing FreeFem+±4.12-win64.exe directly from the C drive’s root directory. It did not solve the problem.

Why would the microprocessor have some influence on whether FreeFEM starts up or not?

Dany

I think it is the same problem I have in Other thread where only the oldest install package (which is a different kind of installer) works.