Make petsc-slepc errors on centos 6.10

Hello,

I am trying to install FreeFem on Centos 6.10 following this guide Installation guide (Installation guide) section “Compilation on Ubuntu”.

I have found errors in step 6 with command “make petsc-slepc”:
I uploaded the configure.log file and ask for help.
Thank you.
configure.log (904.2 KB)

Thanks, I’ll forward this to the ParMmg developers. It looks like you are using a very old OS and a very old MPI implementation though, so it would be best to upgrade your system. In the meantime, you can simply remove all occurrences of --download-parmmg and --with-parmmg-dir from 3rdparty/ff-petsc/Makefile.

Edit: just FYI, see Undeclared MPI symbols · Issue #37 · MmgTools/ParMmg · GitHub.

I simply remove --download-parmmg and --with-parmmg-dir occur in Makefile and it work well, thank you very much. but it occurs another error:

I uploaded the new configure.log file.
Thanks again.
configure.log (3.0 MB)

Again, you have a very old Python which seems partially broken. You can just remove all --download-slepc occurences from 3rdparty/ff-petsc/Makefile.

I update Python from 2.6.6 to 3.5.1, but make petsc-slepc still failed.

configure.log (2.3 MB)
thanks

Could you please upload fr/externalpackages/git.slepc/installed-arch-linux2-c-opt/lib/slepc/conf/configure.log as well?

configure.log (4.3 KB)
ok, I upload it

Did you recompile from scratch when switching from Python 2.6.6 to Python 3.5.1?
I’m not sure you did, could you please rm -rf /home/xlzheng/bin/FreeFem/ff-petsc and rm -rf 3rdparty/ff-petsc/petsc-3.15.0 and then make petsc-slepc again?

I repeat the progress following the Installation guide, but the warning “PETSc version 3.15 is newer than SLEPc version 3.14” still exist, same with the error “Unable to link with PETSc”.
I also try rm -rf /home/xlzheng/bin/FreeFem/ff-petsc and rm -rf 3rdparty/ff-petsc/petsc-3.15.0 and then make petsc-slepc again. The error occurs again :neutral_face:

Hi Prj,
I did as you adviced, but the error in the fifth dialog box still exist. I don’t know why

Could you please upload the latest version of 3rdparty/ff-petsc/petsc-3.15.0/configure.log and 3rdparty/ff-petsc/petsc-3.15.0/fr/externalpackages/git.slepc/installed-arch-linux2-c-opt/lib/slepc/conf/configure.log?
I’ll forward this to the PETSc developers. Then, I’d suggest that you do as I proposed earlier to move forward, i.e., remove all occurences of --download-slepc in 3rdparty/ff-petsc/Makefile.

configure.log (1.3 MB)
configure.log (3.5 KB)
I upload the two configure.log in the order you mentioned

Thanks. In fact, I’m not sure removing --download-slepc will suffice, but you can try that. It would be much easier if you just use an up-to-date OS/compilation toolchain. GCC 4.8.5 is about 6-year old…

Thank you, I‘ll try updating GCC